Rhode Island, 1813. William Potter and Peleg Walker establish Ram Tail Mill. Powered by the Ponangansett River, the Mill spun wool and wove cloth, which is the origin of the name Ram Tail Mill.
Peleg Walker found his favorite job to be making the nightly security rounds. He would patrol the building, accompanied only by a lantern, and at sunrise he would ring the bell, signalling the beginning of the work day.
May 19, 1882. The morning bell did not ring out through the building. When the workers arrived, they found Walker hanging dead from the bell rope, the key to the mill neatly sitting in his pocket. They assumed it to be a suicide and buried his body nearby.
One night, the workers were startled awake by the bell maniacally ringing. When they ran to investigate, they found the mill completely empty — the bell had rung on its own!
After several more instances of the mysterious bell ringing, Potter took down the rope, as he believed the wind was causing the rope to blow in the night. But his efforts were futile. And he removed the bell all together.
With the bell gone, everyone thought life at the mill would return to normal. However, not long after the removal of the bell, other strange events occurred at Ram Tail. For instance, the water wheel moved against the current of the river, and the machinery would run by itself in the middle of the night. Some nights, a figure would walk around the mill, carrying a lantern, and bearing an eerie resemblance to Walker.
The workers quit, as they did not want to work in a haunted mill, and soon Ram Tail shut down. In 1873, the building burned to the ground. And it’s officially haunted — the Rhode Island census listed it as such, and it is the only officially haunted place in the state.